Wow. What a nice win that was. Last night the Capitals
won destroyed the Detroit Red Wings last night 7-1. Coming in this looked to be a (very) early Stanley Cup preview and a tight scoring game. But, as you can tell from the score, a tight game it was not. Everything seemed to click for the Caps tonight.
Let’s get to the good and bad(?) of this game, shall we:
- Mike Green buried 2 goals and added 2 assists to get the game’s 1st star honors. Green has had a slow start to the year, recording only 2 points in 6 games. His defensive play has been good and now he doesn’t have to worry about sacrificing some of his offense for good defense because of Dennis Wideman’s offensive ability.
- Nicklas Backstrom. I laugh when people say “Will Nicklas Backstrom finally play in the playoffs?” Really? I guess they forget that before last year, Backstrom has 30 playoff points in 28 playoff games. Over a point-per-game. He’s gotten off to a strong start this year too. With a 2 point game tonight (1G, 1A) he now has 10 points in 7 games. You have to believe he’s back to his form.
- Mathieu Perreault now has 4 points in 2 games (3G, 1A). He was out for 2 of the Caps’ 7 games this year and he is now showing he wants to be in all the time.
- Remember when everyone (me included) freaked out when Tomas Vokoun allowed 5 goals vs the Lightning? Ahh, good times. Vokoun has been a stud since then. Last night he allowed 1 goal on 33 shots. Which now puts his season statistics at a 1.80 GAA and a .944 SV% in 6 games so far this year. If he can play like this all year, teams better watch out.
- Dennis Wideman has 7 points in 7 games so far this year and has really done a good job providing offense from the blueline while Mike Green has struggled to do so. His career high is 50 points, I don’t think he’ll reach that this year but 40-45 points is definitely an achievable goal for Wideman this year.
- Alex Ovechkin has began to hit his stride netting 5 points in 3 games (2G, 3A) and he looks like he is back to his usual elite form.
- I guess the one negative is that the Caps allowed a goal tonight but it was a powerplay goal so no one got a minus. The Capitals penalty kill is 18th ranked so I guess they can work on that.