The St Louis Blues take on the Washington Capitals tomorrow. Normally I would try and do the preview before the game that day, but I am going to be busy working and will not have time. So here it is tonight.
Big news out of the nations capital today as the Caps dismissed coach Bruce Boudreau, and hired Dale Hunter as there coach. I do not know much about Hunter so check out our Capitals writer for more info. What I do know is this could very much be a much tougher game for the Blues then it could have been.
Under Boudreau the Capitals have been very inconsistent this year, with players Alex Ovechkin, and Alex Semin mired in a season long slump. There was always a possibility of those two turning it around and coming on fire at any point. What I am hoping is that the coaching change takes a couple of games to set in and Hunter’s system to not be ready tomorrow night.
Keys to this game will be
- The continuation of Backes demolishing the top lines, and continuing his scoring
- Petro and Cole shutting down the likes of Ovi, Semin, and Backstrom
- Jaro Halak rediscovering is eastern conference playoff magic against Washington
- Staying out of the penalty box
- The special teams waking up, meaning the power play,
Also Vladimr Sobotka will not be playing due to the puck he took to the mouth a couple nights ago. David Perron will not be dressed for tomorrow either.
That will be all for me tonight barring major news.
UPDATE: lines for Washington are looking like this from sources
Perreault looks like scratch.